Mr. Martin practices in the business planning and transaction areas. His practice emphasizes the corporate, limited liability company, compliance and ethics, nonprofit and partnership law areas. Mr. Martin has significant experience in a wide variety of business transactions across diverse business industries, including business entity formation, organizational and governance structuring, acquisitions, dispositions, equity owner buyouts and dispute resolution transactions.
Mr. Martin has been recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America many years throughout his career and has an AV® Preeminent Rating™ by Martindale-Hubbell.
Previously, Mr. Martin was a partner with the Honolulu law firm of Cades Schutte LLP where he practiced in the tax and corporate groups for over 15 years. Mr. Martin was a member of the Firm’s management committee and was selected as one of the Top 250 Hawaii Business Executives. He also was elected and served as the Chair Elect, Treasurer and Secretary of the Hawaii State Bar Tax Section. In addition, Mr. Martin previously worked as a tax accountant in the Washington, D.C. office of Ernst & Young where his practice primarily emphasized tax planning and compliance in the nonprofit, corporate and partnership tax areas.
- Business Planning and Structuring
- Corporate, Limited Liability Company, Compliance and Ethics, Nonprofit and Partnership Law
- General Business Transactions, Contract Negotiations, Due Diligence and Strategic Planning
- Named One of the “Best Lawyers in America,” Woodward/White, Inc. many years throughout his career
- Ranked AV® Preeminent™ which is the highest certification mark offered by Martindale-Hubbell for legal abilities and ethical standards
- Named One of the Top 250 Hawaii Business Executives, Hawaii Business Black Book, 2000
- Management Committee of Cades Schutte LLP, Honolulu, Hawaii, 1996-2000
Cades Schutte LLP is one of the largest full-service law firms in the State of Hawaii and has represented many of the largest publicly-traded companies and landowners in Hawaii and throughout the Pacific Rim for over 80 years.
- Board of Trustees of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Scottsdale Foundation, 2018 – Present
- Board of Directors of The Cades Foundation
Previously served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Cades Foundation which is a nonprofit charitable organization supporting the arts and legal profession.
- Board of Directors of the KMR School of Golf, 2002-2009
The KMR School of Golf is a nonprofit charitable organization based in Honolulu, Hawaii, which develops and trains junior golfers for national and international competition.
- American Bar Association
- ABA Business Law Section
- Arizona State Bar Association
- Hawaii State Bar Association
Teaching & Publications
- Adjunct Business Professor at Hawaii Pacific University, 1987-1992
Taught over 20 college business courses in the College of Business Administration at Hawaii Pacific University.
- Contributor to the American Bar Association Report on the Comparison of S Corporations and Partnerships, published in The Tax Lawyer in 1991
- University of Richmond School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
Juris Doctor, 1985
Member, University of Richmond Law Review, 1983-1985
Burgess & Merritt Merit Scholarship Award Recipient
Carle E. Davis Merit Scholarship Award Recipient
American Jurisprudence Award Recipient
- Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
Georgetown University Law Center, Summer 1982
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
McIntire School of Commerce, M.S. in Accounting, 1981
- Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
Pamplin College of Business, B.S. in Accounting, 1980
- Florida 1985
- Hawaii 1985
- Arizona 1992